Reflections on Your Practicum and Thoughts on Next

 

 

  1. Name: Wallis Thomson

 

  1. Teaching specialty/specialties: Physics

 

  1. Highlights of your teaching practicum experience:
    1. Experiences that you remember with a smile (learning, growth, “I love this job!” sorts of things)

 

I worked in the Junior Learning Hub and worked with Special Education Teachers. I had a student who had autism and on my last day there, he told me I was one of his favourite teachers. It melted my heart!

 

    1. Challenges: Things that were a struggle, perhaps in the “We learn and grow through challenges and hardships” category of “learning experience”

 

I worked with two 9 grade students in the learning hub fairly frequently. They had a lot of difficultly focussing on their work and were struggling in math and science. I believe they were both really struggling with anxiety as well. Everyday, I did my best to make myself available to help them. We ended up connecting with each other in small ways but on my last day they left before saying goodbye. It made me feel sad and forgotten.

 

    1. Ongoing learning: Things that, at the end of your practicum, had you thinking, “I want to learn more about, or work on developing my skills in .…” (?)

 

I want to learn more how to help ELL students. I want to make more connections with the support staff so I can learn better how to help them.

 

  1. Reflecting on the way the video, “Message from the future II”, plays with the notion of messages across time: What is the most important thing that would write in a letter to your future teacher self (e.g. five years from now)?

 

I would write that when you were a young teacher candidate, you were open to new ideas and opportunities to learn. You believed that as a teacher, we are forever learning new things in this changing world. We must all be flexible to change.

 

  1. Post-BEd plans: e.g., if you have already secured a teaching job, what/where? Or, some other sort of job? Or, further studies? Or, if you don’t have solid plans, what are your hoped-for post-BEd options?): Note: The purpose of this question is to provide us (Amanda and Mati) some context to get a sense of your interests and potential needs as you move into your career

 

I just had two interviews today, one for a full-time math and science teaching position in Fort St. John and a TTOC position in Salmon Arm. I felt like they both went very well! I really would like to work in Salmon Arm. I love Salmon Arm. It’s where I grew up and it is where my family is. My partner and I value the support of family so we would like to settle here for the foreseeable future.

 

  1. Anything else? If there is anything else you would like to share, please do! Amanda and Mati would love to learn more about you –

 

I love tennis, I used to coach it when I was still living in Salmon Arm at the tennis club before I moved to the lower mainland for my post secondary education. It introduced me to instructing and helped me discover my passion for teaching.

I am happiest outdoors. I love tennis, biking, cross country skiing, slacklining, hiking. I play various instruments such as the violin, piano, ukulele, trombone. Another passion of mine is working with my hands. I like fixing and assembling things and building with wood. I have made tables, and chairs, and bowls and cups.

 The main thing I want you to know about me is that I have many hobbies and passions.

 

 

Comments

  1. Sorry I'm a bit delayed responding to this post - But, I hope for the best for you re: those potential TTOC opportunities! I appreciate the impact your connections, and efforts to make connections, with students has had on you -- especially with students who seem to be struggling. Those are indeed the bits that stay in our hearts, as teachers. Your hobbies and passions sound wonderful ... and, I bet you'll bring those passions in to your teaching practice too (there are loads of physics application! :) )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entrance Slip: Learning the Grammar of Animacy

Entrance Slip: On Becoming A Reflective Teacher