Reflection on Mathematics for human flourishing
Sorry, I had no idea we had a reflection to do for this reading !
Read the first chapter of Mathematics for Human Flourishing.
Create a post on your blog that responds to each of the following questions:
1. Can you describe 2 places in the chapter that made you stop and think?
The first place in the chapter that made me stop was when the author spoke about Christopher Jackson, an inmate in prison. Looking at his situation and comparing it to my own, I find it so sad how young he went to prison. However, I do see some hope in the fact that he found Math as an escape.
2. What does the phrase "Every being silently cries out to be read differently" (p. 2) mean to you in the context of teaching? Does this phrase connect to your own experiences of learning/teaching?
I think everyone wants to be seen a certain way but they know that we are all comparing and being compared to someone else. Simone Weil understood this because she lived in the shadow of her brother. As a teacher, we are aiming to do the best we can for our students (hopefully). Us teacher candidates probably noticed that as we were constantly being watched by our SA and FAs, we were being compared to themselves and how they would approach the classroom and its students. I aim to be the "cool" teacher. Fresh out of the gate, new ideas, close in age to the students and ready to make change to the old system. I can imagine other teachers watching me and thinking much different thoughts. "Oh I have tried that, that won't work." I have met some awesome teachers that love giving advice. Of course, I appreciate that but I also know we are not the same person and what works for them may not work for me. I think the phrase "Every being silently cries out to be read differently"means do not assume I am a person of one identity. As a student/teacher, I am forever learning and thus changing.
Wallis, I hope that the energy and fresh ideas that you bring to teaching will be appreciated by those around you.I think that being open to and flexible to new ways of teaching and learning is both a strategy and a sign of sustainable practice! Have fun with a class of your own!!
ReplyDelete