Exit slip: Let's Eliminate the Bias!

 I clicked on Dr. Marina Milner-Bolotin's article on the CBC because she is the professor for my Physics Methods course for Secondary Science Teachers. Right away, I was captivated by Dr. Milner-Bolotin. She is so full of energy and knowledge and she is never afraid to speak her mind. I found it interesting learning about Dr. Milner-Bolotin's education in the Soviet Union and I want to talk to her more about it but I fear I'll ask a personal or inappropriate question. She completed her undergraduate degree in the Soviet Union in the Ukraine and all genders were encouraged into science. Coming to America, she noticed a big difference in the ratio of men to women in her science classes. I think Dr. Milner-Bolotin carries something very special and that is her attitude. She radiates confidence and is not hesitate to jump into any conversation.

I believe this behavior we bring to teaching and learning in the classroom is a learned behavior. Our learning behavior comes from our environments such as classrooms, homes, extra curricular activites, etc. I want to create an environment in my classroom that encourages students of every race and gender to share their ideas and thoughts. I also want to be a role model as Dr. Milner-Bolotin is to me. I came out of an astronomy degree mostly having male professors. It is so refreshing having female professors for my BEd. It really does go a long way when you see someone of your race or gender in a position you would like to reach.

Dr. Milner-Bolotin brings an attitude to her students that states "I am present" and "I can do this". I want to adopt this attitude, bring it into my classroom, and pass it on to marginalized groups such as female students, LGBTQ+ students, cultural minority students, disabled students and more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Entrance Slip: Learning the Grammar of Animacy

Entrance Slip: On Becoming A Reflective Teacher