Entrance Slip: Learning the Grammar of Animacy
Language is not my strong suit. English is my first language and French is my second. I love reading and I enjoy talking to people. But I can get flustered sometimes when I am speaking on a subject I just learned about or have little knowledge. I find myself searching for certain words that escape my mind the harder I think about them. I think it comes for nervousness and expectations. Scientific and mathematical terminology is a struggle for me because sometimes I have only heard the term once before and I end up using it regularly in the wrong context. This language in the classroom is normally very lifeless and exact. Learning about the Potawatomi language reminded me of the early days of learning French. I was surprised that in the language, nouns are given masculine and feminine identities. Two different categories made for the verbal flow of the language. With Potawatomi, the two categories are whether an object is alive or not. Most of the language is verbs which makes...

Comments
Post a Comment